A green smoothie is, of course! If you want to start your day off right, a green smoothie is the best thing you can do for yourself. I find that I eat healthier and feel better the whole day if I start my day with a green smoothie. You may be thinking that greens are the last thing you want first thing in the morning, but you will be surprised how much you start to enjoy this highly nutritious treat that is packed full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals!
This green smoothie recipe tastes fantastic and gets you some delicious raw food first thing in the morning. It only takes about 10 minutes to make. We make one every 2-3 days as it only lasts that long in the fridge after it’s made. All fruits and veggies should be organic if possible. If they are not organic make sure to wash them well. It is delicious, but for some it’s a little bit of an acquired taste. After you’ve had it once you’ll love it because you’ll love the way it makes you feel. This is best to drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. We had have been making this every few days for about 6 months now and have no intention of ever stopping. It’s that good, for you.
1 head of organic romaine lettuce or a package of 3 romaine hearts (yes, that much)
1 cup water
1 bunch of spinach (or 1/2 box) -need size
1 large stalk of celery copped into 2 inch pieces
1 large apple, peeled cored, and sliced
1 pear cored and sliced
juice from 1/2 a lemon or lime
1 cup of ice
1. Chop romain and wash thoroughly in a large strainer
2. Add romaine to a blender, add cup of water, blend until liquified. You may have to stop the blender and push the romaine down a couple times before it all bends. Unless you’ve got a Vitamix, and it should blend it all just fine.
3. Add spinach and blend until liquified.
4. Add apple, pear, banana, and lemon, blend until liquified.
5. Add ice, blend until smooth. Make sure you blend long enough for smoothie to be completely liquified. Don’t try and add the ice first, it doesn’t work.
Add another apple, pear, or banana if you like it sweeter. Makes 4 smoothies.